Article by Dayne Jones
Google has a solution for just about anything on the web. When you build a website and run a business from it, nothing else matches Google apps in terms of usability and convenience. That’s why we configure Google apps for every pro plus WebStarts account. Google apps is your solution for mail, documents, calendars, word processing, spreadsheets, and more. Here are my top five reasons for using Google Apps and Email:
1. Never delete emails… archive them. Google has so much storage that you never have to delete an email again. If you want to remove an email from your inbox, simply archive it. This means that you will never lose an email and have to ask somebody to resend it. My inbox has been in use for several years processing 100′s of emails a day and we have reached 41% of our email storage. Since Google allows around 7.5 GB of space and counting, I’m confident that we’ll never have to delete any emails containing important information.
2. Google’s powerful search integrated into your business. Google’s most powerful tool is Google search. When you use Google apps, their search tool is integrated into everything. That doesn’t mean that you can search the web while using these products… it means that you can search through your emails, documents, and everything else you’ve created. If you have archived emails for years and you want to search through to find your email history with a particular person, simply type their name or email address in and click “search mail”. Google will quickly generate results containing those search terms and you will be presented with the email history you were looking for. Same goes for documents that you have created. When you are using Google docs, all you have to do is type in a keywords and Google will search the titles and even the content of your documents to produce results.
3. Google allows embedding. Google is unique in that everything you use is web based. The best part of being web based is that you can embed what you’ve created on your website. For example, say you have a company calendar that is constantly updated. Simply start a calendar in your google apps account, then share it with the world. Once you embed it using HTML code, anybody who goes to your web page can see your calendar as it is updated. This works with documents and spreadsheets as well. If you have created documents or spreadsheets, simply grab the HTML code and embed it into your website. Viewers will see your spreadsheets and documents directly on your website where you have embedded them.
4. Share information with coworkers. When designing spreadsheets, presentations, documents, drawings, or calendars, you may want to share them with a coworker or friend. With Google apps, simply “share” a document and choose an email address. As long as that use is using a Google email address, they can access and edit the document. This means that you can have several people using the same document and collaborating all while updating the same document.
5. Since everything is web based, you never go without your information. You can log into your account from anywhere with an internet connection. That means that you have everything wherever you go. If you can get to the internet, you can have access to your mail, your contacts, calendars, documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, and more. Thats far better than storing all of your documents and mail on your local computer. There may be a time when you don’t have that machine with you or the hard drive could fail leaving you without all of your important information.
Google has become the largest and most well-known company on the web today… and for good reason. The tools included in Google apps and Google email exceed any others in ease of use and convenience. Simply upgrade the pro plus account to have WebStarts setup and configure your Google apps account and up to 50 email addresses today.
Dayne writes for WebStarts.com. At WebStarts, you can get a free website and free hosting.